Monday, July 18, 2016

Russian basketball players going to lunch

In the early 1990s, I was going to lunch in a steakhouse in Charleston, S.C., and I saw about 10 really tall men in front of me. I recognized one of them: Alexander Volkov, a native of the Ukraine who played from 1989 to '92 for the NBA's Atlanta Hawks.

As the manager came up to them, I passed them, but I could still hear them talking. The manager asked how he could help them. In clear English, the man I recognized as Volkov said "I'm Alexander Volkov, and this is the Russian basketball team. We're here for lunch." The manager then helped them go through the line.

I don't know why they were in Charleston or why they were in that particular steakhouse. I don't even know why I mention it here.

The 6-10 Volkov was one of the best basketball players I ever saw in person, although I never saw him play other than on TV. He's not the best basketball player I've ever seen; I saw Chris Paul in high school and just before he went into the NBA, and I saw Xavier McDaniel (the X Man) play in high school.

But that's another story for another time.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL

Ladd McConkey Is Not the Prospect You Think He Is GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL This Big Change With Carson Beck Will Win UGA Football the Natio...