Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Keeping (too) cool for a fire drill

July 5, 2019 is the 42nd anniversary of a memorable day/night for me. I was attending summer school in Virginia in 1977, and the temperature was a scalding 102 on July 4.

I took at least five showers and burned out a fan that day. But that night was a different story.


In the middle of the night, a terrible noise arose, and I finally realized it was a fire alarm. Without thinking, I ran outside in shorts, no shirt and no shoes. There were dozens of other guys dressed the same way, and I think we all realized at once that the temp had dropped to around 50!

We were freezing and hoping the fire drill would end soon. Unfortunately, it took a half hour to get all of the girls out of the tower. By the time it was over, my feet were numb.

But I learned my lesson. For the next fire drill, I was wearing long pants, shoes and socks, and a light jacket, and I had a pair of gloves and hat in my pockets, just in case.

I was happy they never had a fire drill in the winter when I was there; the snow and/or ice would have been a killer, even with the preparations.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com TWITTER: EDITORatWORK.
Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

2 comments:

Brenda Coxe said...

I remember when I was still doing the 9-5 routine we had an alarm due to an odor in our building. It was freezing out, and our reporting area just happened to be in the parking lot--those of us who used that parking lot retreated to our vehicles to wait it out.

Tom Gillispie said...

Brenda, I had my keys (to get back in my room), but the car was too far to walk barefoot in that cold. Thanks for the comment.

NFL VIDEOS

The MOST Insane NFL Record NO ONE Ever Talks About NFL VIDEOS YouTube page Greatest Trick Play From Every NFL Team Caught in the Draft - 199...