Saturday, August 18, 2018

Dodging a tight end

THE TEAM I WAS COVERING WAS WEARING GREEN.

In the early 1980s, I was working
at a small newspaper and taking photos during high-school football practice.


The coaches and players were scattered over the practice field, and each coach had his own players in his group. In one group, quarterbacks or coaches were passing to receivers. I moved to that area, and the head coach noticed it. I was taking pictures of another receiver, but he'd sent a tight end right at me.

I swung the camera around and got a shot of the tight end missing the ball. Then I quickly and without fuss sidestepped the erstwhile pass catcher. I heard a few giggles - they probably thought I was bothered; I wasn't - but no one spoke about it.

If you're wondering, I had a great relationship with that coach and that team. I think they were playing with me.

I spent so much time with that team that I could tell where a play-in-progress was heading. I once told another photog to move, and a quarterback then whizzed a pass toward his head. The photog looked at me with surprise.

How did you know? Practice, of course.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK



BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL

Ladd McConkey Is Not the Prospect You Think He Is GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL This Big Change With Carson Beck Will Win UGA Football the Natio...