Saturday, April 22, 2017

Are you a guru, an innovator or the master of the universe?


This isn't exactly
about writing or editing, but, then again, maybe it is.


On LinkedIn, it says "Tom Gillispie, Good writer, better editor." So "Good writer, better editor" is sort of my title. It's the truth, and I'm proud of it.

I see all of these folks on LinkedIn and other social media who claim to be an innovator, a guru, a visionary, a strategist, a facilitator or whatever. There's at least one who said she is a "Magic Worker," and another that is supposed to be an entrepreneurial wizard. (I just found a samurai.)

I just found another who says he's a "Writer, reporter, editor, publicist and all-around brilliant person." Who knows? Maybe he is.

And there's another who is an Ideator, Visionary and more. Another is a Vigilante of nuance. One is a Digital Knowmad, and another is a digital renaissance man.

Twitter has at least one queen of the edit and a copy-editing czar, among other royalty.

I just encountered the Media Empress and the Media Dominatrix on Twitter; obviously, they're in charge. Still, I wonder. Is either the next Oprah Winfrey? The Media Dominatrix makes me think of leather and chains.

I just found a guy who is a "communication evangelist." Praise the Lord, and pass the info.

I just found a Digital Marketing Ninja; watch out for that one. Don't turn your back.

There are guys who mention Superman or leaping tall buildings on their profiles. No. Sorry. Whoever you are, you're not the Man of Steel.

Frankly, there are few innovators or visionaries, gurus and wizards, and I hate it when people turn to hyperbole to promote themselves.

I don't claim to be anything I'm not. I'm not a facilitator or a visionary, a media wizard or a guru. I'm certainly not the master of the universe, and neither are you.

I AM a darned good writer, and I AM a better editor. That's it.

But, to me, it's enough.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL

Ladd McConkey Is Not the Prospect You Think He Is GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL This Big Change With Carson Beck Will Win UGA Football the Natio...