Sunday, April 10, 2016

Beautiful rainbows

Twice, I've had unusual encounters with rainbows. And both have stayed with me for more than 30 years.

When I was a young man, I was walking a ridge in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, and I saw a rainbow ending against the side of a mountain! I walked across the ridge and moved under the rainbow, but I saw only blue sky when I got there. There was no pot of gold, just a pleasant tree-covered area with little undergrowth. I sat and enjoyed the moment; then, I got up and continued walking, and the rainbow reappeared.

Years later, I was living in South Carolina and visiting Clemson University. There was a concrete-sided pond in front of the library, and sprinkler jets were firing mists all around the lake. THERE WAS A TINY RAINBOW ABOVE EACH JET OF WATER! I had already checked out something from the library, and I was sitting on the side of the hill enjoying the day. Within minutes, that hill was covered with people looking at the tiny rainbows.


Boy, I wish I had had a camera with me on either day.


Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

BASEBALL HIGHLIGHTS

BASEBALL HIGHLIGHTS GAME ACTION 1965 World Series Highlights Cubs win pennant vs. Dodgers - 9th inning of 2016 NLCS Game 6 1960 World Series...