Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The MAGIC word (a cute story from the 1980s)

YEARS AGO, I WAS WORKING at a newspaper and some guy called and asked me the Seattle-Chicago score. This was early fall, and I asked him which Seattle-Chicago score. "What do you mean?" he asked. "The Seahawks and Bears played today, and so did the Mariners and White Sox," I said.

"Give me the baseball score," he said.

"What's the magic word?" I replied, getting tired of his pushy manner.

"What do you mean?" he said.

Slowly, I said, "What's the magic word?" I put emphasis on "magic."

He paused several seconds, sighed and said "Please." I gave him the score, and he slammed the phone.

Remember, politeness counts.

Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.


More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

1 comment:

Diane Knaus said...

Hi Tom, Good reminder. I always leave a thank you, or sincerely, or I do appreciate it at the end my emails as well. I do that especially for editors I work with.
Hope things are going well for you.
Good tip, thanks.
Sincerely,
Diane Knaus

REMEMBERING ELVIS PRESLEY

ELVIS PRESLEY, YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE LIVE.AMAZING. REMEMBERING ELVIS PRESLEY Elvis Presley - The Comeback. Documentary Elvis Presley ~ T...