Friday, November 3, 2023

I HAD EXPECTED THE WORST

THIS IS JUST A GENERIC FOOTBALL GAME.

YEARS AGO, I WAS
 supposed to cover a a high-school football game in the boondocks of North Carolina. They had cell service, but not the kind I used.

I told the sports editor that I might be late, and he said to do my best.

The home team won, and I talked to the two head coaches. The principal was nearby, so I asked if he had a place where I could write and send my story. He set me up in the assistant principal's office.

I'd already written some of my story, so I added quotes, and the writing was easy. After much editing, I sent my story and used the office's phone to call the paper. Phil was surprised but pleased; I explained that none of my worries came true. Everything worked out perfectly.

I told him he could call my cell in a half hour if needed. I had to be around Danbury to get cell service. I don't think he needed to call me.

It turned out to be one of the easiest nights I ever had covering high-school football. And I had expected the worst.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK



BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

KRISTI NOEM and CRICKET

Kristi Noem confronted about farm pup in tense exchange: 'You need to stop' KRISTI NOEM and CRICKET Kristi Noem defends suggesting B...