Friday, April 14, 2023

NOT-SO-TIGHT WRITING


Years ago, I was working at my college's Office of Information and Publications, and a professor had sent in a press release on a seminar about tight writing.

My boss asked me to take the release and cut it down; she wanted tight writing.

So I spent about a half hour cutting words and, occasionally, full sentences. I wound up turning a two-and-a-half page press release into about a page and a half, double spaced.

I heard that the professor was outraged that we'd trim his peerless prose, and he really would have been incensed if he'd learned that a STUDENT had done it. But he never said a word to me.

That editing work was a good lesson in tightening my own writing. And, yes, I sometimes find myself falling into the too-many-words trap.

But I usually remember to cut the fat out of my writing.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK



BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Links to MINOR-LEAGUE BASEBALL

The Most INSANE Baseball Team In The WORLD The first minor-league  game I ever covered was the Charleston (SC) Rainbows (a San Diego Padres ...