Wednesday, May 8, 2019

My mother's day

For years, I've wanted to write about my mother. I just couldn't think of something to say.

Today would have been her 104th birthday; she was born in 1915, so this seems a good time to finally say it.

Agnes Virginia Hodge Gillispie was a stay-at-home mom and one of the quietest people I've ever known (I've taken after her in a lot of quiet ways). She was a good seamstress, and she loved her soap operas. One winter, I was laid off, so I started watching a soap opera (Days of Our Lives) with her five days a week.

After she died in 1978, I never watched another soap opera.

Like my dad (fourth-grade education), she didn't go far in school (seventh). But she was bright, and she learned a lot over the years.

I was 25 when she passed, and now I'm nearly four years older than she was then. And I miss her every day.

Happy birthday, Mom.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Links to MONEY AND BUSINESS

What If We Just...Stopped Working? Links to MONEY AND BUSINESS 5 Small Town Side Hustles That Make Big Money Business Skills That Make Milli...