Saturday, May 5, 2018

PITIFUL vs. PATHETIC

I was just wondering which is worse, pitiful or pathetic. In some ways, I can see an argument that pitiful is worse. In another way, they're similar or the same.

So I looked it up online and found a real can of worms.

On WikiDiff, I found Pitiful vs Pathetic - What's the difference? You have two columns of listings, and I got nothing from it. You might.

Then on Narkive, I found a comparison that sounds like what I wrote in the top paragraph. It's called OT: 'pitiful' vs 'pathetic'.

On UsingEnglish, I found one explanation that might mean something to you. It's called "pathetic" vs. "pitiful".

On HiNative, I found What is the difference between pitiful and Pathetic ?, with one person saying there's no difference.

There may be more differences online, but I mostly found pure definitions and synonyms. Here are synonyms (same meaning) for pathetic: heartbreaking, heartrending, miserable, piteous, pitiable,
pitiful, poor, rueful, sorrywretched. You'll notice that pitiful is there.

What do YOU think?

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

ENTRIES FROM THE DOG BLOG

BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

OUTER LIMITS EPISODE "Cold Hands, Warm Heart"

OUTER LIMITS EPISODE "Cold Hands, Warm Heart" I'm just now watching the Outer Limits episode Cold Hands, Warm Heart . William...