Saturday, May 5, 2007

Two bright days

Twice, I've had unusual encounters with rainbows. And both have saved with me for more than 30 years.

When I was a young man, I was walking a ridge in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, and I saw a rainbow ending against the side of a mountain! I walked across the ridge and moved under the rainbow, but I saw only blue sky when I got there. There was no pot of gold, just a pleasant tree-covered area with little undergrowth. I sat and enjoyed the moment; then, I got up and continued walking, and the rainbow appeared again.

Years later, I was living in South Carolina and visiting Clemson University. There was a concrete-sided pond in front of the library, and sprinkler jets were firing mists all around the lake. THERE WAS A TINY RAINBOW ABOVE EACH JET OF WATER! I had already checked out something from the library, and I was sitting on the side of the hill enjoying the day. Within minutes, that hill was covered with people looking at the tiny rainbows.


Boy, I wish I had had a camera with me.




CONTACT: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL

Ladd McConkey Is Not the Prospect You Think He Is GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL This Big Change With Carson Beck Will Win UGA Football the Natio...