Thursday, September 22, 2016

Open sesame; a quick football story from 2008


In 2008, I was supposed
to cover a high-school state-championship football game in Raleigh, N.C. The game was being played at N.C. State's football field, Carter-Finley Stadium.


They had saved credentials for me, but they'd left them at the Will Call window. So I had to talk my way into the parking lot.

There were several people working together when I got there. I talked to them, particularly one woman, for several minutes, and they were nice. But they wouldn't let me in. I couldn't prove to them that I wasn't just trying to get into the game free.

I had made up a credential that I wore at high-school games; it said MEDIA, Surry Messenger, Tom Gillispie. But, as the woman pointed out, anyone could have printed up credentials like that.


She said I needed to prove that I was a newspaper man. In desperation, I pointed out that I had a North Carolina Press Association sticker on my front windshield and a Winston-Salem Journal sticker on the back window (I had worked for the Journal before I took the Messenger job.).

Before I could even finish my sentence, she looked at my windshield and waved me forward. "Let him in," she told the others.

Open sesame...


EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com TWITTER: EDITORatWORK.
Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL

Ladd McConkey Is Not the Prospect You Think He Is GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL This Big Change With Carson Beck Will Win UGA Football the Natio...