Sunday, January 24, 2016

A wire facial

When I was in my late teens, we'd play football on the field in front of the new elementary school. The softball backstop was in the corner of the field, and we'd use the edge of the backstop (with an imaginary line across the field) as the end zone.

One day, I went out for a pass, and no one hollered as I approached the backstop. I caught the ball with my right hand and immediately went WHAM! up against that wire backstop.

Remember, too, that I was approaching 300 pounds, so I packed a wallop against that wire.

I wound up on my back with the ball in my hand on my chest. Someone helped me up, and told me I had a chicken-wire pattern on the right side of my face. I hit that wire really hard, after all.

But the touchdown counted.

CONTACT: Email me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

NFL VIDEOS

The MOST Insane NFL Record NO ONE Ever Talks About NFL VIDEOS YouTube page Greatest Trick Play From Every NFL Team Caught in the Draft - 199...