Sunday, June 28, 2026

MY READING LIST

Normally, I watch videos or movies, but, lately, I've been enjoying novels.

I read War of the Worlds by Herbert George (H.G.) Wells. It's chilling. Unlike the movie, there's not a ton of dialogue.

I also read Tarzan of the Apes on Project Gutenberg, and I'm reading Edgar Rice Burroughs' second Tarzan novel, .The Return of Tarzan.

I just read The Missing Heiress by Robert Goldsborough. It's a Nero Wolfe book that I started months ago; this time, I finished it. I was surprised at the identity of the murderer, but it made sense.

I just finished a mystery novel, The Red House Mystery, by A.A. Milne, the author of the Winnie the Pooh books. It was Milne's only mystery novel, and it reminds me of Agatha Christie's style (more Sherlock than Hercule, though). The killer was the one I thought it was, but the victim wasn't who we thought it was. So it was a satisfactory ending.

I'm reading Podkayne of Mars, another novel by sci-fi writer Robert A. Heinlein. I know I at least tried to read it many years ago; I plan to finish it. (The youthful narration reminds me of J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye.)

I read The Liar in the Library, another novel by Simon Brett. I've seen this scenario a few times, but I was curious where Brett was taking it.

I read Mrs Pargeter's Patio, a mystery novel by Simon Brett. It was hard to keep up with all the names, but I enjoyed it.

Brett is the first new author I've added since (possibly) Robert Goldsborough or Larry McMurtry in maybe the 1990s. I read the same authors over and over; fortunately, they wrote a lot of books.

(Psst. Mrs Pargeter's first name is Melita.)

I just listened to the audiobook of The Cat Who Wasn't There by Lilian Jackson Braun. It's one of my favorite Cat Who books.

I recently finished a Robert A. Heinlein sci-fi novel, Time for the Stars; I'd never heard of it before. I don't think it's as good as Stranger in a Strange Land or Time Enough for Love, but it's serviceable. (Actually, I loved the ending.)

I re-read yet another novel by Lilian Jackson Braun, The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell. I've read all of the Cat Who novels, but I like to revisit them. Braun is one of the many mystery writers I like to read.

✧✧✧

Peter James | Simon Brett | Authors Studio - Meet The Masters

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  BLUESKY: PROFILE



BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

MORE MUSICAL BACKSTORIES

🎢🎡🎧🎹 🎸 SHORT:   The Accidental 1965 Hit That Shocked the Billboard Charts MUSICAL BACKSTORIES The Story of the Bee Gees (FULL DOCUMENTA...