Sunday, August 18, 2019

Our first look at Mount Rainier

MOUNT RAINIER FROM THE WEST

Holly and I were visiting Washington state
more than 10 years ago, and we'd driven the route from Seattle to Sea-Tac two or three times. And we hadn't noticed any mountains.


It had been overcast before, but it was clear this day when we drove toward Sea-Tac.

Holly was driving. I looked to my left and went "Holy shit!" There was this gigantic mountain in the distance, and I knew at once that it was Mount Rainier.

I grew up with the modest mountains in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, but this was the first time I'd seen anything like Mount Rainier (14,411 feet).

We actually stopped somewhere and I got some pictures of it (I wish I could find those photos).

Let me put Mount Rainier in perspective: Mount Rainier looks taller from maybe 50 miles away than a mountain near here, Pilot Mountain (2,421 feet), does from maybe two miles away.

The Cascade Mountains were impressive, but Mount Rainier was the area's crown jewel.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK



BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Links to MONEY AND BUSINESS

What If We Just...Stopped Working? Links to MONEY AND BUSINESS 5 Small Town Side Hustles That Make Big Money Business Skills That Make Milli...