Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Out in leftfield


As they say, ya just gotta
 love Yogi Berra. Particularly if you're a baseball fan or an editor, or, in my case, both. Yogi could mangle a sentence with the best of 'em.

Yogi on education: "I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did."

On economics: "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Actually, a dime probably ain't worth a nickel nowadays.

On mathematics: "Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." Somehow, Yogi wound up with 140 percent here.

More on education: "Bill Dickey is learning me his experience." And what did Dickey, the teacher, learn?

My favorite: "He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious." Apparently he was a switch-swimmer.

A thoughtful quote: "I always thought that record would stand until it was broken." Most do. If they go early, watch out.

Yogi, the philosopher: "In baseball, you don't know nothing."

Or: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." I think I'm already lost.

The profound: "If people don't want to come out to the ballpark, how are you going to stop them?" I'm speechless.

Great elocution apparently ran in the family. Even Yogi's son, Dale, could flub a ground-up quote with the best of them. "You can't compare me to my father. Our similarities are different," said Dale, a former Pittsburgh Pirate and apparently a chop off the old log.

Let's go with the final quote for Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra, a modest man despite being a beloved Hall of Famer. "It ain't the heat, it's the humility," Yogi has been quoted as saying.

Must have been the Hot Stove League


EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK


BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL

Ladd McConkey Is Not the Prospect You Think He Is GEORGIA BULLDOGS FOOTBALL This Big Change With Carson Beck Will Win UGA Football the Natio...