Thursday, March 10, 2016

Sling on my TV

I had never heard of Sling TV when my wife first mentioned it last year. We couldn't afford cable, and she said that Sling would be a way to get ESPN and ESPN2 without the high cost of cable.

Sling TV streams on our Roku box, just like Netflix and Hulu Plus (and Acorn TV). We get a lot of channels, including ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, TBS, TNT, AMC and more, for $20 a month. And we didn't sign a contract.

It's a little clunkier than cable, and I have to work to get through the channels. I've gotten so used to watching Netflix and Hulu Plus that I expect to watch a show when I want to, and you can't do that with Sling TV.

The worst thing is when there's a commercial is being shown on ESPN or ESPN2, and they can't show it to Sling customers. I really hate that music with the logo on the screen. I usually mute it out; or I switch to something else.

But there's an obvious good (or great) side. I watched a ton of college football, and a lot of pro football, last fall.

I'm not much into basketball, but I'm hoping they run a lot of baseball on the ESPN channels this spring and summer. That will keep me going while I await football season.

P.S.: I watched the end of an NIT game tonight, and I enjoyed it. Amazing. I suspect I'll watch some more tomorrow.

NOTE: I hate the way Sling has changed the way you find channels. It's much harder this way.

UPDATE: I've gotten used to the new way Sling does its channel finder. I can move through the channels easier than before, so I like it.

ANOTHER UPDATE: The worst thing with Sling (or any streaming service) comes when your Wifi isn't working; without Wifi, I can't watch Sling, Hulu, Netflix, Acorn, etc.

CONTACT: Email me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments: